home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ The 640 MEG Shareware Studio 2 / The 640 Meg Shareware Studio CD-ROM Volume II (Data Express)(1993).ISO / bbs / ckif101.zip / CHECKIF.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1992-01-29  |  8KB  |  118 lines

1. ╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
  2. ║                               CHECKIF  v1.01                                ║
  3. ║                          by Beep 1@4120 VirtualNet                          ║
  4. ║                                                                             ║
  5. ║              Fantasy Island - PO Box 1024 - Aliquippa, PA 15001             ║
  6. ║                               (412) 378-3963                                ║
  7. ╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  8.                                                                                
  9.    ┌──────────────────┐                                                        
  10.    │     PURPOSE      │                                                        
  11.    └──────────────────┘                                                        
  12.           CHECKIF is designed to open VBBS v5.40 databse configuration files,  
  13.           find the associated file areas, check to see if the files really do  
  14.           exist in that directory and toggle the online/offline flag in the    
  15.           database.  This eliminates the need to move files online/offline by  
  16.           using the slow "O" option in Reviewing files in VBBS.                
  17.                                                                                
  18.    ┌──────────────────┐                                                        
  19.    │    DISCLAIMER    │                                                        
  20.    └──────────────────┘                                                        
  21.           This program runs fine on my machine.  Use this program at your own
  22.           risk. I make no warranties or even if it will work on your system.
  23.           The only thing I can say is: If this program makes your hard drive   
  24.           break into 2000 little pieces, you get to keep all of the pieces.    
  25.           I'm not responsible.
  26.                                                                                
  27.    ┌──────────────────┐                                                        
  28.    │       SETUP      │                                                        
  29.    └──────────────────┘                                                        
  30.           CHECKIF can be run from any directory.  The only requirements are    
  31.           that the associated CHECKIF.CFG is in the SAME DIRECTORY that the    
  32.           CHECKIF.EXE is in and that you have FULL PATHS SET TO YOUR FILE      
  33.           DIRECTORIES in Vconfig.  (You should have full paths anyway, this    
  34.           is helpful in preventing hacking.)  In case you do not know what a   
  35.           full path name is.... C:\VBBS\STUFF is a full path.                  
  36.                                                                                
  37.           CHECKIF.CFG is the configuration file that tell CHECKIF where to
  38.           find several important files.
  39.                                                                                
  40.           Line   Description                                                   
  41.            1     FULL PATH to your database directory usually C:\VBBS\DB       
  42.            2     FULL PATH to your VBBS directory usually C:\VBBS              
  43.                    (CHECKIF needs to find DATABASE.CFG)
  44.            3     What your FILE AREA DB group is called, usually F             
  45.                    (Multiple FILE AREAS allowed. DO NOT mix other DB types)
  46.                                                                                
  47.            Example CHECKIF.CFG                                                 
  48.                                                                                
  49.            C:\VBBS\DB                                                          
  50.            C:\VBBS                                                             
  51.            F                                                                   
  52.                                                                                
  53.            CHECKIF.CFG can be edited with any ASCII file editor or if you      
  54.            have to, use the DOS "Copy Con Checkif.cfg" command to make the     
  55.            file.  If you are running a standard setup, CHECKIF.CFG should be   
  56.            ready to go.  CHECK IT FIRST!                                       
  57.                                                                                
  60.     ┌─────────────────┐
  61.     │ RUNNING CHECKIF │                                                        
  62.     └─────────────────┘                                                        
  63.            CHECKIF only has one command line switch and that is for those of   
  64.            you that DON'T have color monitors.  The switch is /M.              
  65.                                                                                
  66.            CHECKIF {/M}      will get you going!                               
  67.                                                                                
  68.            After starting CHECKIF, you will see your databases scroll up the   
  69.            screen and all of the associated files will be listed with FOUND    
  70.            or MISSING.  This is just to let you know what it is doing.  Each   
  71.            database will be updated to reflect the status of the files found
  72.            or not found.                                                       
  74.            CHECKIF can be aborted at any time by pressing [Esc].  This will
  75.            immediately terminate execution.  If you wish to pause the screen
  76.            you may use the pause button.
  77.                                                                                
  78.     ┌─────────────────┐                                                        
  79.     │     SUMMARY     │                                                        
  80.     └─────────────────┘                                                        
  81.            CHECKIF has been run on the following machines:                     
  82.                                                                                
  83.            Type    Number of      No.       Elapsed Time
  84.            CPU     Directories    Files      in Seconds
  85.            ----    -----------    -----     ------------                       
  86.             286        25          834           33
  87.             386        16         1167           37
  88.                                                                                
  89.     ┌─────────────────┐
  90.     │   REGISTRATION  │
  91.     └─────────────────┘
  92.            If you find CHECKIF worthwhile and you use it, please send me a
  93.            buck.  If you can't afford it, (I know how expensive it is to run
  94.            a board) use the program, and when you make your first million,
  95.            or hit the lottery, send me two bucks. If you would, please send
  96.            me an email either way saying you are using it.
  98.     ┌─────────────────┐
  99.     │     SUPPORT     │
  100.     └─────────────────┘
  101.            If you need help with CHECKIF, you can email me and I'll try to
  102.            help.  I can be reached at 1@4120, or by writing to the address
  103.            at the top of the docs.
  105.     ┌─────────────────┐
  106.     │   BETA TESTER   │
  107.     └─────────────────┘
  108.            I would like to take the time now to thank Renegade, 1@4121 for
  109.            all the help in the beta testing of this program.  I'm quite
  110.            positive he thought that I was going to destroy his databases on
  111.            several occasions.  Oh well, what's a few databases between
  112.            friends?  Nah...everything went well. Thanks Renegade!
  114.     ┌─────────────────┐
  115.     │ ACKNOWLEGEMENTS │
  116.     └─────────────────┘
  117.            VBBS is copyright Roland De Graff